If you are looking for an alternative to moisturisers with petroleum, steroids and bees wax keep reading.
There are so many creams and moisturisers on the market that claim to cure your dry, itchy, flaky skin, it can be hard to tell what really works and what's just advertising.
We thought it would be good to list a handful of ingredients you should look for when choosing your next skincare products to help with hydrating your skin. Here are the ingredients and benefits.
The Best Ingredients for dry skin
Oils- Jojoba Oil, Lavender Oil, Vitamin E, Rosehip oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Sandalwood Essential Oil,
Hazelnut Oil work to hydrate and soothe naturally skin naurally.
- Unrefined butter- Mango butter, Cocoa butter, Shea butter, Hemp butter provide long lasting moisture and makes dry skin very soft.
- Hyaluronic acid- fantastic at retaining moisture and products containing hyaluronic acid help build up the skin barrier. It can have a restorative effect on dry skin and make it look plump and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- Glycerin- attracts moisture to skin, it is very similar to the skin and can help dry skin appear supple and feel soft
- Lactic acid- helps improve the skin's natural moisture factor, or the way the skin keeps itself hydrated. It helps to keep the skin moisturised. If you have cracked skin avoid using it as it may sting.
- Ceremades- lipids (fats) that are found naturally in high concentrations in the uppermost layers of skin. It holds skin together and also attracts moisture to the skin and maintain the skin’s suppleness.
- PCA- pyrrolidone carboxylic acid is an amino acid derivative that attracts water which can help make dry skin feel more hydrated. It can help with dryness and the feeling of tightness.
All of these ingredients will help prevent moisture loss and will protect the skin so it can heal. Steer clear of fragrances and colour on the ingredient list if you have sensitive skin, as these can be irritating.
Use Moisturisers Generously and Often
If you have dry skin look out for products containing one or more of these ingredients. It can really benefit your dry skin and help make it look and feel hydrated and refreshed.
For those who suffer from dry cracked fingers, use high oil content moisturisers after you wash your hands, and frequently over the course of the day. Make sure you wear protective gloves when you handle household chemicals like detergents and other cleaners or do other wet work.
Best consistency: A thick cream or ointment with a higher oil content offers a better staying power when compared with a lotion, which is of thinner consistency.