We’ve all seen influencers using tiny razors to get rid of upper lip hair or trim their eyebrows, but it turns out that dermaplaning has many skincare benefits too! So, what are they?
First, what is dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a skin treatment that evens skin tone and removes dead skin and fine hair from the skin’s surface. You may have a professional do it or try an at-home treatment. In this article, we’ll focus on at-home dermaplaning.
Benefit no.1: Exfoliation
Dermaplaning takes off the top layer of the skin, which is a super effective exfoliation technique. It gets rid of excessive oil and promotes a brighter, more radiant complexion!
Benefit no.2 : Smoother skin
Dermaplaning is a very effective option if you want to minimise the texture of your skin. This is also why a lot of people who wear makeup choose to dermaplane. Your makeup will go on smoother and look more natural.
Benefit no.3: More effective skincare routine
Getting rid of that top layer of the skin will help your skincare products absorb better, making your overall routine more effective.
So, how do you do it effectively?
- Start on clean, dry skin.
- Make sure your hands and dermaplaning tool are thoroughly cleaned too.
- Working in sections, hold the skin taut with one hand and use your dermaplaning device with the other.
- Move the blade over your skin in short, light strokes. You'll get best results if you hold the blade at a 45-degree angle.
- Try to keep the strokes in a downward motion to avoid irritation. You'll see dead skin cells and hair start to accumulate as you go.
- Make sure not to go over any areas that are inflamed or irritated, which can cause bleeding.
- Rinse your face with a gentle cleanser and proceed with the rest of your skin-care routine.
- Sanitise your dermaplaning tool